Sunday, May 16, 2010

Will the Wall Street Banksters Ever Be Held Accountable?

We are all still stuck in the "big Muddy." No, not the wars of old or even the oil disaster. The mud I am referring to is more like quicksand and it sucks anyone who wants to look at what happened in the financial crisis deeper and deeper into it.

Soon, you are buried in shifting sea of so-called "exotic financial instruments," and tranches, derivatives, credit default swaps, naked short-selling, etc and so forth, ad fin item. It's murkier in there than in the oil-infested waters of the Gulf of Mexico.

Stop, my head hurts.

A far simpler explanation, pervasive fraud and financial crime, has been ignored by most of our economic geniuses. As I made my film Plunder The Crime of Our Time offering a "crime narrative," I ran up against the denial that greeted my 2006 film In Debt We Trust warning of a meltdown. Then I was called, a "doom and gloomer." Now I have just been ignored or considered simplistic.

Why is that? There are cultural and ideological reasons. The world of finance is dominated by the elite of the elite, up-right citizens all, including many philanthropists and patrons of the arts. How could such important "big men" ever be accused of slimy crimes?